Duplicate content? ~ WHY SEO MATTERS
Get more visitors and better search engine rankings through search engine optimization

Wednesday 5 August 2009

Duplicate content?


We know that seach engines are aware of the practice of stealing content and in their indexation process they can very efficiently check if similar text exists somewhere else on the Internet. This, I believe, to be a sound policy to avoid plagiarism. But like everything it is not fool proof. Or better said, it has certain shortcomings. The point which worries me is that in certain instances I have been confronted with excellent content for the particular niche my website focuses on. I am tempted at times to quote from this source, duly giving due reference that this is quoted from such and such a source. I fear, however, that no matter what I do to ensure the reader knows I am not the owner of this information, g00gle and other search engines will simply do a trace when indexing, find the text appeared earlier. Usual search engine policy, I believe is to accept the earliest date of publication as the original owner of the material. So if the text is found quoted on my page I will be punished for duplicate content. Is this the way it works presently? Please correct me if I am wrong. The only other alternative I see to avoid the wrath of the search engines is to make a reference to the text in my webpage and link to it. Any other options? Comments welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment