Ethics on the Net - between a rock and a hard place ~ WHY SEO MATTERS
Get more visitors and better search engine rankings through search engine optimization

Sunday 2 August 2009

Ethics on the Net - between a rock and a hard place

This posting will make no sense if you do not read the last one on Internet - quo vadis?
Question - Do you think that private companies have the right to harvest knowledge from my blog and to use it for commercial purposes. Some of you may say well if you do not want such companies to index your content just put a no follow in your html and shut up. I believe that is not the point which I am trying to make. We all have the right to indexation by search engines, to being found on search engines and to getting good traffic from search engines. But can private companies use my knowledge in whatever form and sell it. Currently, in a macro sense it can. I spoke yesterday of filtering of 20 million blogs to predict movie successes.
This means basically I do not own what I am writing, others can make whatever use of this material for commercial purposes, right? So I have no inherent copyright on anything I produce and place on the Internet? right? Hmmmm ...... I have a little trouble with that, I am afraid. I mean g00gle is so fanatical about duplicate content etc. yet it has no trouble offering 20 million blog contents for "research" reasons. Sorry ..... I have a little trouble with that, as well. So obviously g00gle decides what is right and wrong, what is ethical and unethical in terms of copyright? My troubled face persists.
But sadly and basically there is nothing, absolutely nothing, I can do about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment